The Echo Bouvier Message Forum  

Go Back   The Echo Bouvier Message Forum > All Breeds > Dog Arts and Crafts

Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 AM

Default Engraved glass images

Mike is going to try to resize some of my images so they can be posted on the forum. If he is successful, the first two images you'll see are the following: Both pieces are drill engraved utilizing a HNSY micromotor and a variety of diamond-tipped burs, abrasive stones, and rubber abrasives. The HNSY is similar to Dremel micromotors, but much easier to use and has some advantages that Dremel does not, or did not have at the time I bought the HNSY.

The Bouvier herding the sheep is from a photo by Mike, which he graciously gave me permission to use. The jade glass crescent was donated to NAWBA for their national specialty a couple years ago, and was auctioned on eBay if my memory serves me correctly. The Bouvier head study on the decanter is a piece I donated as Best of Breed trophy for one of my kennel clubs dog shows.

When I started feeling confident about my engraved glass work, I started donating pieces for dog show trophies, almost exclusively Bouvier images. Since then, I have started doing numerous other breeds both as commissioned pieces and just to donate at shows to make our clubs trophy tables more interesting. Some of the other breeds I have done include Affenpinscher (our second breed), rottweiler, schnauzer, Polish lowland sheepdog, English springer spaniel, Clumber spaniel, black Russian terrier, golden retriever, Bassett hound, and several more.

David
Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here you go, David. Great work!

Just click on the image below to open it up and show it in it's larger size.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Herding-Bouv.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	4   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bouvier-decanter.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	5  
Old 01-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

David, are you putting etch resist on the glass and using a sand blaster? A lot of people that work with fusing glass do this before and after they fuse glass. The sand blasser is also how they get off any of the kiln wash and fiber paper that is used to keep the glass from sticking to the kiln shelf... although sometimes it sticks to the glass and needs to be cleaned off.

Very nice.

Mike
Old 01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Engraved glass images

Absolutely gorgous David! I can't imagine the patience <let alone the artistic talent> it takes to create each and every hair.

Can't wait to see what your pieces will look like when you get good at this. LOL

Cheers,
Sue
Old 01-08-2008, 01:30 AM

Smile Engraved glass images

Wow David I just looked at the piece with the bouvier herding the sheep. I love it. Do you do these as special orders? Do you have a site to order them?
I love my pieces you have done for trophies....But I would LOVE to add this piece to my collection. I would take pics of my platter etc, but I cant figure out how to do it and be able for anyone to see the white bouv on glass. It does not show up well at all.
Have A Great Day- Everyday
I think this forum is going to be fun!
Now can we send a picture etc in letters here?
Thanks Gayle...Mom of Corri and Kali
Churchville NY
Gayle
Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 PM

Default Engraved glass

To answer your questions, Mike, these particular pieces are not sand blasted, although I do some sand blasted glass. These are achieved with micromotor, diamond tipped burs, and abrasive stones. The images are first drawn onto the glass with a stabilo or transferred from a drawing with carbon paper. Then I engrave the glass with the burs using the lines as my guide. I will send some images of point engraved pieces, which is a whole nother game, which I will explain when I send the images.

Thank you, Sue. Patience is definitely a must, especially when I'm working on very expensive crystal. I'm presently working on a piece, for a February exhibition of my work, which cost $200.00 for the blank crystal goblet alone. The image is point engraved, a portrait of Lillie Langtry as Cleopatra; I have worked on it a couple hours a day, almost every day, since before Thanksgiving.

And Gayle, yes I do special orders, although that particular image is from a photograph by Mike, which I obtained special permission from him to use. I do not have a web site, you have to contact me via phone or e-mail or snail mail. Of course Susan and I will see you at Bouvstock I hope, dressed to the nine's. If you can wait until June we can talk about a special piece then.

David
Old 01-09-2008, 12:24 AM

Smile

David you are the Bomb! and Yes BOUVSTOCK! And YES Dressed....Going to a Wedding yah know! Cant wait.
Funny cause I was just thinking last night, do we have the dates for that yet? Reason- My daycare. I need to give my families my vacation dates soon. Thanks....and YES we can talk about stuff then....and Mike......ole friend Sue's buddy and Pal.....I love your work! You know that! I would Love to have a Master Piece Created by BOTH Mike and and David! What a Team! Hummmmm Team......I can see it now! ***LIGHTS PLEASE***
"D&M Diamond's In The RUFFF...Creations"
Think of the $$$$ you guys could make! And Think of The Girl that got the IDEA at Bouvstock when we discuss the price! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Hugzzz
Gayle
Old 01-11-2008, 02:59 AM

Default More engraved glass images

The first piece is a drill engraved ice bucket donated to NAWBA for one of their specialties. The image is from a photograph by Bill Hollinger.

The second image is point engraved on a full lead crystal wine goblet. The scene is a Bouvier herding a cow, from an original pencil drawing I did many years ago. Point engraved images are created using a tungsten carbide needle or a diamond solitaire mounted on a shaft, secured in a pen vise, and tapping the full lead crystal glass (must be full lead crystal or the image will break apart very quickly) one dot or scratch at a time. Depending upon the size and complexity of the image, it can take many weeks, working several hours a day every day, to finish. This particular goblet took about 40 hours of actual labor over a three week time frame to complete.

The third piece is a drill engraved image. It was a commissioned piece, engraved on .375 inch plate glass with beveled edges. I had the frame made especially for the piece. The glass measures about 11 inches by 9 inches.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA131280s.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	11   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0633, Bouvier Herdings.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	12   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0068_b, Truman Bencheds.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	13  
Old 01-11-2008, 12:36 PM

These are fabulous, David! I am so envious of your talent!

Cathy Jensen
Olympa, WA
Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 AM

Default Some non-bouv images

I have sent Mike a few more images, all non-bouv. Most are engraved glass, but one is a color pencil portrait.

David