The Echo Bouvier Message Forum  

Go Back   The Echo Bouvier Message Forum > All Breeds > General Topics

Old 06-03-2008, 12:37 AM

Default Breed Specific Legislation (BSL)

Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) is aimed to target "select" breeds of dogs and label them as dangerous. The problem, as I see it, isn't with the breed but the owner/s. Too often town or city leaders wish to jump on a band wagon and attempt knee jerk fixes. They have little working knowledge about working , herding, or sporting dogs. Working lines animals come with higher drives than do many show lines dogs. Most city leaders own low energy levels dogs that are happy sofa critters.

Just because someone saw a Bouvier thirty years ago in Holland and it was protective, doesn't make all Bouviers protective or reckless in disposition. I have seen the paperwork for some who wish to target the Pit Bull Terrier, Doberman, German Shepherd, and any mix with targeted breeds. These are now called "dangerous dogs." Large dogs can do more damage than smaller ones. A .22 round can kill just as fast as a .50 round. The .50 caliber has more knockdown power. Both will hurt!

As far as BSL goes, all Bouvier owners should be on guard to keep the "well meaning" lot from messing with this breed. Be active in your community to educate and control the breed that you enjoy owning today. If you fail to be active today, you can only blame yourself if the laws hit your neighborhood!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Calf is another state that has had groups aggresively trying to shove this kind of legislation through. They are real sneaky about it too and will try to get it through when nobody is paying attention.

Oregon just had a measure voted on that would make it easier for people to lose their pets and animals. It was down just a few votes the last time I saw it as it was too close for them to call it. I suspect it will be passed though, unless a few hundred absentee ballots get in.

It's a real threat to all of us, that's for sure.

Mike
Old 06-23-2008, 10:21 AM

Hmmm..... over here in The Netherlands (which is the correct name for Holland :P ) we have indeed some breeds marked as dangerous.

But not breeds as Bouviers or Shepards.... but Pittbulls and alike (and yes, even for those goes that the owners are mostly the reason for bad behavior of the dogs).

I remember an incident of some years ago.... friends had a puppy Rottweiler, the cutest and friendliest thing.
But in the neighborhood there was one woman scared to death for this dog. She came for Poland and Rottweilers were made aggressive there and used against people....
Can you blame the woman? No, I don't think you can... Can you blame the dog breed? Most certainly not....

As so often... there are two sides to the medal...

Rob.