The Echo Bouvier Message Forum  

Go Back   The Echo Bouvier Message Forum > Bouvier des Flandres > Breeding Healthy Bouviers

Old 04-01-2010, 05:33 AM

Default Raw feeding during pregnancy & weaning litter?

I have been feeding raw for almost 3 years now and I have been looking for information on possible changes I need to make to the current diet for my girl who will be bred soon?? I am also looking for info on weaning a litter onto raw.. thank you for any input... Jackie
Old 04-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Pregnancy and raw feeding

There are a lot of resources on the Internet, but of course you need to read each one objectively.

I know a number of folks who have fed bitches in whelp with raw diets over the years. Some have done very well, but in recent years there have been some concerns about problems due to bitches assimilating excess calcium (from the bones). One breeder I know who was a staunch raw feeder feeds her breeding bitches high quality kibble now after experiencing problems.

I've used some raw food raising puppies. I typically wean to a gruel made up of ground meat and goats milk and they do well on it. I've also incorporated chicken wings and necks, and some raw meaty bones into the puppy meals once they have teeth.

Cheers,
Sue
Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 AM

Thank you Sue,
Since my OP I have picked up the book Raise your pup with bones, which seems to provide good information and has info regarding calcium and says to decrease rmb at times and increase fruits/vegs and add grains. I will also continue to use The honest kitchen at times and I am going to get info from the stud dogs breeder/owner and another raw feeding breeder as well as my Vet . This is my second litter the first was almost 8 years ago so I'm very excited but nervous.. Thank you very much...