The Echo Bouvier Message Forum  

Go Back   The Echo Bouvier Message Forum > Bouvier des Flandres > Herding

Old 12-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Welcome to our Herding Moderator!

Kathy Heilenmen has graciously agreed to serve as moderator for the Herding Forum. I know you'll all be able to learn a lot from Kathy since she has many years of herding experience with both Bouviers and other breeds.

Cheers,
Sue
Old 12-16-2007, 08:54 AM

Thanks Sue. I've been working stock with bouviers and border collies for the past 10 or so years and I'm hoping this forum will be a place for discussion.

As many of you know I have a young bouvier, SophieRose, who is (OK was) coming along well in training...that is until Iowa got iced over, then snowed over, then iced over and then snowed over... nothing much to do outside until we have a major thaw I think!

Hope the weather is more conducive to getting out with stock and dogs where you are... meanwhile, we can at least talk about things!

Kathy/Iowa
Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

What? You mean you aren't dedicated enough to continue working on herding training in your house?

Even though this area is under the Bouvier section, it's certainly alright to let anyone with one of the other herding breeds join in as well. So if you want to spread the word out among others you know that might be looking for a place they can talk about herding, they are certainly welcome.

Also, let me know if there is anything else you need. The cardboard box furniture will be replaced with the wooden boxes just as soon as Sue gets them unpacked.

Mike
Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 PM

Well Mike, it's the poop factor + the sheep actually live about 20 miles away from the house.

They're saying we'll get some thawing tomorrow but it won't be enough to be able to work stock without taking a very real chance of breaking a leg--canine, ovine or human.

I have friends with an indoor arena but their sheep can't get up the hill to get to the arena because of the ice...they literally slide back down. Plus, to get up that same hill in a car isn't an easy thing. They use chains.

I think I have to cross my fingers for a good, week-long January thaw!

And thanks for inviting other herding breeds. I know that it's a constant source of interesting discussion to talk about how all the breeds are different and it's true in a way. But at a deeper level,the *work* is the same and the ways that dogs can get the work done depends to overlap across breeds a lot (IMO anyway).

Congratulations on moving up in the world box furniture wise!

Kathy/Iowa
Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Herding in Delaware

Howdy! I do herding with my Border Collies and use them in my goose control business, FIRST STATE BORDER PATROL. I started my female Bouvier off on Katahdin Hair sheep and not ducks. It seems to make since, giving others herding lessons on MY sheep, might want to take time out and use them myself! Bear was in shock! "Pop, look, things to chase and taste!"

We do farm style herding and start out most dogs with a basic livestock awareness test. Lessons are done in a 90' round pen for about 10 minutes and the sheep are well dogged. Togetherness! My female Bouvier is 100% different on livestock moving than the BCs and their manner of tending is also different. Getting use to that will be the challenge. I look forward to learning more and hope to be a help to others who want to do more with their working dogs.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum, Howard. You mean you can actually control a goose? The ones I've seen are pretty single minded... kind of like a Bouv.

Ducks was the first thing we had to train our first Bouv on. She did an excellent job... almost too good of a job sometimes. We had them in a wire enclosure with a dog house (that the Bouvs wouldn't use) as a duck house. She had the idea that the best place for them was in that dog house. So she would pull the wire fence down and herd all the ducks into the dog house and lay in front of it so they couldn't come out.

They use to do fence wars with her on one side and then on the other with one in paticular cussing her out to no end. One day they were out and she went out and rounded them all up and put them back in their area, slapped her paws together and said "My job is done", turned around to walk off. As she did, one duck went running out and goosed her big time in the rear. She jumped straight up, flipped in mid air to come back down facing the duck... that had already run back into the pen. I almost died laughing and would have given anything to have my camera ready when that happened. Or a movie camera.

We had more duck eggs than we knew what to do with. We couldn't feed them to the dogs or eat them ourselves fast enough to keep the supply down. Even a year after they were gone (a neighbor complained we had livestock so the city made us get rid of them) I'd find an egg every now and then... or worse, one of the other Bouvs would find the egg and eat it. Uck.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Not a lot of activity yet. Lots of readers, just not that many posters, so feel free to post a thread or two about your Border Collies or Bouvs and herding.

Mike
Old 03-23-2008, 02:00 AM

That's some funny stuff. Yep, Bear will have pups in mid April and after they are sold, she will revisit the sheep pasture. I can then update my website with Bouv and BC pics.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:20 AM

Welcome Howard, nice to have someone else on the board. Currently I have a year old bouvier who is barely started on sheep along with 2 border collies. A friend and I rent about 20 some odd acres and have varying amounts of hair sheep.

It's been a rough fall/winter/spring so far for stock and dogs and people here in Iowa. We got ice and snow and subzero temps (repeat that about a zillion times) from early November till just recently. We're happy that we decided to lamb in mid March rather than try to catch the early Easter market.

Gotta run go check for lambs. It is snowing as I write but it should not stick!!!!!!

Kathy Heilenman
Iowa
Old 03-23-2008, 03:28 AM

Kathy...OMG I'm not alone!
I too am glad to find someone out there with similar backgrounds. This is a bonus for me. Thanks and look forward to seeing posts and pics.