The Echo Bouvier Message Forum  

Go Back   The Echo Bouvier Message Forum > Bouvier des Flandres > Breeding Healthy Bouviers

Old 05-15-2010, 12:29 AM

Default Ultrasound confirmed pregnancy....

Very excited!!!!! Should have some puppies in June... If anyone has some favorite whelping box ideas homemade,prefab ect.. This is my first litter in 8 years so its been awhile... Would love any suggestions.. Thanks, Jackie
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Whelping box ideas

The quick and easy whelping box is a kid's plastic wading pool. I've used one a couple times and it worked out fine. A comfy quilt folded in the bottom makes a nice nest for momma. It's easy to clean and the momma dogs seem to like the curved sides to lie against while they nurse the puppies.

If you're planning to build one, I like to use melamine... basically press board with a formica cover. It's very easy to clean. Side need to be 18" high... but puppies will be coming over the top by the time they are three weeks old or so ... be sure and have some xpens for plan B. :>

Cheers,
Sue
Old 05-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here is a picture using the kiddy pool. It only worked while the puppies were real tiny. Once they started getting bigger and moving around, even before they opened their eyes, I'd put together a bigger box. What I did for our last litter was get 8 1x8x6' pine boards (which was really 3/4" x 7.5" and 6' long). I cut 4 of them down to 5' long and 4 of them down to 4' long. I also got 4 2x2 pine studs. I used the 2x2 studs as the inside corner piece and screwed one of the long boards front and back and one of the short boards on both sides. Then on each side I screwed another short board and on the back another long board. This gave 3 sides that was about 15" high. On the front, put a 2x2 board on both sides of the single board in the middle so there was a slot to slide the top board. This way the top board could be left off while the pippies were small so that Dyna didn't have to step over both boards going in and out. Once the puppies got big enough to make it over the 7.5" high board, we put the top board in place to keep them in when we wanted to. Dyna was able to step over that ok. It's always fun to watch which puppies learn to get over the lower board and then to finally make it over the top board when it's in place.

I also covered the inside of the boards with sticky shelf paper. This made it easier to keep the boards clean and it stood up to all 7 puppies pretty well. By using screws, the box was easy to take down when I dismanteled it and put it out in the garage. We had a sheet of thick plastic on the floor under it and then pads and towels and a area with paper on top of that for the puppies.

I believe there are pictures on here that shows the box.

And congratulations. Get plenty of rest before they come, because (in case you have forgotten how much work it is) it's just like having human babies... you don't get any rest for the first 8 weeks or so.

Here is the pool:

Mike
Old 05-25-2010, 03:53 AM

Talking

>>I also covered the inside of the boards with sticky shelf paper. <<

Was that sticky paper to try to keep my little feet stuck in the box?? Didn't work. hahaha

Scarlet
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Sticky feet

No kidding... Scarlet was prolly the first kidlet that climbed out and she did that on a regular basis. She sure was cute in the picture that Mike posted though... when she was tiny and asleep. ;>
Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Ok, so the sticky shelf paper didn't slow them down any. Next time I'll try duck tape. Lots of duck tape.

Mike