The Echo Bouvier Message Forum  

Go Back   The Echo Bouvier Message Forum > Bouvier des Flandres > General Topics

Old 05-06-2012, 04:01 PM

Default Please recommend best food to feed our puppy

Hi - We had been feeding Kirkland Adult Formula as recommended by the breeder and also really good reviews I read online. Anyway I just found out it is part of the Diamond Food recall, can anyone suggest a good brand to switch our pup to? Obviously this is really important and would like to hear your comment and suggestions.

Thanks, MJC
Old 05-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hi MJC, welcome to the forum. We feed ours food from Costco although I can't remember the name of it. It's the one that comes in either red or a blue back with Salmon and has the picture of the Husky on the front. I think it's Nature's Select or something like that. We switch back and for between the red bag and blue bag although our dogs like both flavors.

A lot of other people use other brands as well with good results. Hopefully Sue will chime in with some recommendations as well.

Mike
Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Puppy foods

Hi there... we also feed Diamond products sold by Costco. I rotate between the Nature's Domain Salmon and Turkey formulas, along with the Kirkland Super Premium Chicken and Vegetable.

I know there is concern with the recent recall, but it's important to remember that only kibble made at Diamond's SC plant was included in the recall. We live on the west coast and get kibble made in CA, so I am not concerned about feeding this to our dogs. I have not had any problems with the Costco foods and have been feeding them for some years now.

Also, the issue with the SC plant foods is the potential for salmonella affecting humans, not the dogs.

If you are not east of the Mississipi, I would suggest you continue to follow your breeder's advice. If you are affected by the recall, you might want to contact your breeder and ask for advice. In general most breeders recommend feeding a premium adult formula, or perhaps a large breed puppy formula. It's important that is is for large breeds in order to avoid a too high phosphorus level which can cause growth problems in Bouviers and other large breeds.

Cheers,
Sue